Monday, December 6, 2010

Amazement

I used to think that, as I grew older, fewer things would amaze me. It is true that fewer things frighten me...fear is reduced by proximity to death, but I can still be amazed. The American people amaze me. Two years after they put the first black man in the White House - other than the chef - they may be on the verge of convincing an Alaskan Governor, one who just up and quit the job, the star of a reality show, a woman with a big gun, to run for President in 2012. Amazing. And as we speak, the Congress is arguing the merits of allowing the richest people on Earth to keep tax cuts they don't need - cuts that, if continued, will hurt the economy, while they hold off on help for the unemployed. Amazing. And the American people vote these people into office. Amazing. I plan to try to curb my amazement. Also to lose weight. Artemus Ward said it best: "Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?" WTF?

No comments:

Post a Comment